May 24, 2012 Letter

This week has been a little slower than usual, but nonetheless full of uplifting moments.
First off, let me just say that I love the TRC! The volunteers are super nice and Elder Morrell and I are getting pretty good at Spanish. Nosotros somos missionaros y tenamos un mensaje sobre Jesucristo. It was actually a funny coincidence, I ended up teaching this girl I knew a few years back who was actually a friend of my cousin Emma. The funny thing was that I went on a double date with this girl, and I ended up teaching her a nice lesson on revelation:) Strange right? It was fun though
Had an interesting experience on Sunday. I don't know if this is common knowledge, I didn't know this until my mission, but apparently protestors like to stand in front of the MTC on Sunday afternoons. They must have figured out that us missionaries like to take walks to the temple every Sunday. They don't talk much, they basically stand there holding huge crosses that say "Jesus loves You". I silently think to myself "Thanks I already know that."
Anyways we've been instructed not to talk to them. It feels so cool to be a part of a pack of solid missionaries march straight past the protestors in silence. We know what we're doing is right in the sight of the Lord.
The rest of the week wasn't too eventful. Although I did see a recording of Elder Bednar's Christmas Devotional at the MTC this past year. Inspiring to say the least. He makes an interesting point that sums up the "Character of Christ": whenever the natural man would turn inward, Christ turns outward. Think about it, when Christ is suffering on the cross, he says "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do." In his last moments, the Savior is thinking about others.
I reccomend everyond watch or read this talk. It's amazing and undoubtedly changed my perspective on what is expected to be a true desciple of Christ. The title is "The Character of Christ".
Things at the MTC are great! Can't wait to leave though. Hope everyone is doing well. Write me letters! I love hearing from everyone it helps me stay connected and stay motivated:)
With love,
Elder Powley

No comments:

Post a Comment