Week 24 - North Oklahoma City - Dec 17, 2012

Mi Querida familia--

This week....we had in a total three lessons and only one of them was a member present. A lot of our appointments fell through because of lack of communication our part and also because we honelty aren't a priority in anyone's lives right now. Its very hard. I've really been trying to develop my faith in the people we teach more. President Monson counseled us to "see men as they can become" but I'm finding that this is something that is very hard for me to do. It literally means putting an eternal perspective on everyone we meet and seeing everyone as God sees them. It's hard!
And honestly the only way to combat doubt is to simply not give up. You keep on fighting and planning for appointments (even though they will most likely fall) and then teaching as genuinely as possible, inviting people to be baptized without fear, and eventually we'll see results.

Some examples of trials we've seen: for nearly and entire transfer and a half, we've had 0 investigators come to church, and as of now we have 0 bapitsmal dates, investigators we felt were inspired and golden the week of Mission Tour with Elder Bowen have been dropped because they've either moved or we've lost contact.
Needless to say, I feel my faith being tried every day.

However, we did have a great teaching experience this last week. We met with the Vazquez family again and taught them the Plan of Salvation. Elder Morrell and I centered every doctrinal point on their family: ex. Before this life, you lived as a family with your Father in Heaven, you're purpose in life is to keep the commandments as a family and come closer to Christ so that you can live as an eternal family in the Celestial kingdom. Before we used to teach in the first person (using we or in Spanish, nosotros) but we've found that there is more powere speaking in the direct 2 person form (YOU are a child of God).
Anyways during the lesson we invited the father to baptism. He straight up said no. He still didn't quite trust our message. He's kind of stuck in this mind set that you don't need religion as long as you've got God in your home. I straight up told him that this was a lie from Satan. I love Spanish because it forces me to be blunt and bold simply because we don't know many words. Then I went in a bore testimony and he didn't have anything to say. I might have offended him, but he still accepted a return appointment.
But now we know his concerns. If we aren't bold as missionaries, the people we teach will never progress or talk about their doubts and concerns. It's interesting to see that the longer I serve, the comfortable I am with being blunt and straightforward. We are representatives of Jesus Christ. If people don't accept this Gospel they will never return to live with their Father in Heaven. The priesthood authority we hold and the fact that our church is Christ's one and only Restored church is the only thing that seperates us from the rest. We have evidence through the Book of Mormon as the word of God and the Holy Ghost testifies of it.

I can't wait for tomorrow when we get to teach them again. Elder Morrell and I are going to prayferally study what needs to be said. The Lord will bless us with the words we need to say in the moment they need to be said. That's another thing I love about being a missionary. As long as you know and understand the doctrine, you don't have to worry about what you will say. The Lord will give you the words to say. It's his work and he knows what people need to hear.

On that note, this week is transfers. Elder Morrell is leaving and I am staying here another transfer. I'm going to miss this guy so much. We've really become great friends and we worked together really well. My new companion's name is Elder Mendoza who is a native Spanish speaker who has been learning English out here in the Mission field. I look forward to working with him and improving my Spanish 10 fold these next 6 weeks.

Well that's about all for today! Merry Christmas and I'll talk to you all next week! Love you.

Con Amor,

Elder Powley

No comments:

Post a Comment